Obtaining a License
In order to create accounts or make calls on the PBX you will need a license code. The easiest way to obtain a license is to contact a Vodia partner. Vodia can help you finding a Vodia partner in your area.
If you want to get your own license or just get a demo license, you will need to register an account in the Vodia portal. which is available at https://portal.vodia.com . Before you can use the portal, you will have to register an account there.
After registering, you will receive an email with a confirmation link. After you have successfully registered, you may contact email@example.com to request a trial license.
If you want to obtain your own license, you can do so through the license purchase page. If you can use a credit card, you can get your license right away. Otherwise the license purchase will trigger an email to the sales team that will prepare an invoice for you.
Activating Your License
In order to use your license you will have to log into your PBX and copy the code there. You might have to first accept the license agreement; then the web interface will take you to the license page where you can copy your license key and press the Save button. The system will reach out to the license server and fetch the license that you have generated from the portal. After a few seconds, you should see the license status on the screen. The maintenance line indicates the date until which you can use software updates build by Vodia. This information might roll into the future every time the PBX fetches an updated license from the portal, especially if you have chosen a software license subscription.
After activating the license navigate to the status web page to validate your license (Status/General). There you should see the current license information. If there are items in the license that have an expiration date, the license duration will show the duration for those items. It does not mean that the license as a whole will necessarily expire; it is an indication that one or more items will expire.
Troubleshooting License Activation
Activating the license is often the first step for the PBX to communicate with the Internet. If the license activation does not work, this is a sign that there is something not right with the license. Here are a few items that you can check when the license activation did not work.
- Make sure that you have a valid license code. A license code looks like 5XX-XXX-XXX-XXX. You can verify that you have a valid license code in the Vodia Portal in the section for your licenses. You should see what type of license has been issued.
- Make sure the server can communicate to https://license.vodia.com. The PBX needs to communicate to the license server.
- Check in the DNS Cache page that the PBX was able to resolve the license.vodia.com DNS address to a valid IPv4 address. If this is not the case, check what DNS server was set up for the server.
- If you are using Vodia IO and you have connected the device to a LAN, make sure that you use different local subnets (192.168.0.0/16), so that the subnet of Vodia IO is different from the subnet that is used in the LAN.
- Make sure that your PBX is not blocked by the firewall. If you firewall blocks the traffic, make sure that it can at least talk to license.vodia.com. The X.509 certificate for license.vodia.com was issued by the Vodia Root CA. Make sure that your firewall does not block sites that are using that Root CA.
- License key is bound to the server. You can use a license code only for one server. If you use a key for different server you must make sure that the first server does not use the key and more and wait at least 24 hours before you can use the key on another server.
- Check the log. The PBX log may contain additional messages that help finding the problem. You can turn the log level for the web client up to see the communication with the license server. If you suspect problems with the TLS, you can as well turn the log level for TLS up. After you are done with the troubleshooting remember to turn down the log levels, so that the PBX does not have to log unnecessary messages.
Resetting your license
In some cases you will want to move your license to another server. A typical example is when the server for which the license was purchased breaks down and the PBX needs to be moved to another server. For concurrent call licenses, this will require that you turn off your old server for 24 hours and then turn on the new server.
For older extension-based licenses resetting your can be done on your Vodia PBX user portal. By default you can reset the license only once—you will have to purchase a new license if you want to move the license to a new device (the license is bound to hardware). This service is available around the clock; you don't have to talk to a person to move the license. In order to reset the license navigate to your licenses and click on the Reset button.